Monday 31 January 2011

Dicorcia emulation experiments...

For my emulation project I've chosen to study Dicorcia's 'Heads' series, where he unknowingly captures his subjects, having their own little moments.


I passed this old peoples home on the bus and noticed this chap peering helplessly out of his window, it would have made an amazing photo, had I of had my camera! 
So I made the same trip again, this time well equipped but he wasn't playing, so here are some failed and rather frustrating shots.

This set up reminds me of an image from Dicorcia's 'Hustlers' series....


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

further experiments.....

Interesting characters that didn't make the final cut;







I feel these images lack dramatic quality and I haven't been able to capture that 'in the moment' effect i'm looking for. 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although Dicorcia's 'Heads' series concentrates just on the subject, I wanted to add some sense of environment.
I'm thinking i'm going to submit 6 images... 3 traditional head shots and 3 slightly non tradition images, placing my subjects in context of their environment.





I really like these phone box images, if I were to carry on this project I might look at capturing a series of images purely on people in phone boxes.





------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found this location outside of Nexus art cafe in the Northern Quarter. The display in the window offered beautiful dramatic lighting, giving off enough light to highlight passing by subjects....
I feel these to be some of my most successful images.









I found capturing the backs of peoples heads particularly interesting, adding a sense of mystery to the subject.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Typically on the last eve of shooting before submission date I photographed this hoods shot.... 


Looking back I would like to have done a series of shots at the Nexus art cafe location...
I would have called it 'Hoods'
The downward light from the cafe window, would have left the top half of my subjects face in shadow.

Like this shot....

Philip Lorca Dicorcia






No comments:

Post a Comment